This weekend will see Round 5 of the Victorian Premier Cricket season take place. While the Women’s Premier Cricket competition will enjoy a scheduled weekend off, the upcoming round of Premier 1st XI matches will continue to see teams jostling to improve ladder positions before the upcoming batch of T20 matches.
Undefeated teams Dandenong (1st) and Ringwood (2nd) will be looking to keep their winning runs going when they come up against Melbourne Uni (12th) and Prahran (6th) this weekend. Expect the Prahran-Ringwood game to be closely fought as not only the points on the ladder will be handy come the end of the white ball matches, but they are once again fighting for the Don Mathieson Trophy (former player of both clubs). St Kilda (3rd) will also be looking to return to Harry Trott with the points after the road trip to Kingston Hawthorn (16th).
Spots will be hotting up around the lower end of the top 8, with Carlton (4th) hosting Northcote (14th), Footscray (5th) hosting Camberwell (9th), Essendon (8th) travelling to the Albert to play Melbourne (15th) and Fitzroy-Doncaster (7th) hosting Monash Tigers (10th).
Greenvale and Casey-South Melbourne will both be looking for their first points of the season in their matches against Frankston Peninsula (11th) and Geelong (13th). Jon Holland and John Hastings have both been named for Frankston Peninsula for their first match of the season, while several Bushranger listed players will front up for their Premier Clubs this weekend, including Sam Grimwade, James Muirhead, Tom O’Donnell, Matt Short, Will Sutherland and Blake Thomson.
MILESTONES:Congratulations to the following members of the Premier Cricket competition for recent and upcoming milestones:
• Mark Dwyer (Camberwell Magpies) took his 400th wicket for Camberwell in the 2nds game last weekend vs Prahran. Commencing in the 3rd XI in 2001, Dwyer worked his way up the grades, making his 1st XI Debut in the final round of the 2004 season. A premiership player for the Camberwell 3rd XI in 2012/13 and 52 games in the 1st XI, Dwyer also supports the Magpies off-field as their Sponsorship Manager.
• Darren Motschall (Fitzroy-Doncaster - photo at top of page) will play his 300th club game this weekend. Commening in the 1998/99 season as a ‘raw’ medium pacer and hard hitting batsman, Motschall has been a member of the Lions 1st XI (67 games), 2nd XI captain, committeeman, Best Clubman and Life Member. With a top score of 133 and best bowling of 5/36, Motschall has been a valued member of the Lions both on and off the field.
• Ejaaz Alavi (Fitzroy-Doncaster) will clock up game 100 in Premier 1st XI this weekend versus Monash Tigers at Schramms Reserve.
• Patrick Ashton (Ringwood) will also clock up game 100 in Premier 1st XI in the Ringwood v Prahran match at Toorak Park.
• Jack Sheppard (Footscray) will play his 50th Premier 1st XI game this weekend when the Dogs play host to Camberwell. Sheppard has also previously played with Geelong (23 1st XI matches) prior to his return to Footscray (27 1st XI matches).
• Ash Barrow – 300 matches umpired in Victorian Premier Cricket.
• Mathew Rogers – 100 matches umpired in Victorian Premier Cricket.
• Alan Jones – 50 Premier 1st XI matches umpired in Victorian Premier Cricket.
• Karl Hieser (Prahran) will score his 50th 1st XI Match for Prahran tomorrow. MEN’S PREMIER 1STSROUND 5 – SATURDAY 4 NOVEMBERFITZROY DONCASTER V MONASH TIGERS at Schramms Reserve #1Umpires R Hubbard & S Pitts
FOOTSCRAY V CAMBERWELL MAGPIES at Mervyn G Hughes OvalUmpires J Leonard-Scott & C James
PRAHRAN V RINGWOOD at Toorak ParkUmpires V Borg & M Muthugounder
MELBOURNE V ESSENDON at Albert GroundUmpires S Olufson & S Brne
KINGSTON HAWTHORN V ST KILDA at Walter Galt ReserveUmpires M van Eck & B Davies
MELBOURNE UNIVERSITY V DANDENONG at University Main OvalUmpires D Brigham & R McKinnon
CASEY-SOUTH MELBOURNE V GEELONG at Casey Fields #4Umpires D Ireland & G Bawa
GREENVALE KANGAROOS V FRANKSTON PENINSULA at Greenvale ReserveUmpires A Barrow & S Balreddygari
CARLTON V NORTHCOTE at Princes Park #1Umpires M Hanton & M Cervetto